Friday, February 15, 2013

Treasure Hunter - My NEW Wine to Educate


After a long wait and some secretive messages I can announce that my NEW range is here and I am excited to share it with you. The name is TREASURE HUNTER and I came across this idea on a business trip
to the USA. I met Hunter Vogel who started Treasure Hunter Wines in the USA and it immediately triggered my creativity. We actually tried to do something with him from a South African point of view, but it just never took off . It stuck with me for many years and late last year I knew that now is the time to take the leap of faith and just do it. Hunter was very excited when i showed it to him and we are busy working on our first shipment to the USA! 
                                               
With the help of Lourens van der Westhuizen from Arendsig Handcrafted Wines I developed the label and idea and also tasted through various samples of wine that I wanted under this label. He is very much involved in sourcing, winemaking and storing the wines.  

So why Treasure Hunter? 
The wines in the range will never be the same and never be copied in following vintages. It is purely a search for amazing batches of wine that would never have been bottled but blended away. Most importantly it will ALWAYS focus on Wine of Origin and NEVER have WO Western Cape on the label. I have been very outspoken about this in the past and I still feel that the industry is not doing anyone any favors by shipping out container loads of WO Western Cape. South Africa doesn’t have an identity because of this and we should learn from the mistakes that other countries have made while we have the time.


Although I would like to feature lesser known growing regions I will always be on the lookout for awesome wines in every region and build relationships with winemakers from all over the Cape Winelands. In the end I would like to showcase one varietal from many regions next to each other to educate the consumer, but also the wine fraternity on what Wine of Origin actually means. 

Winemakers and Wine Snobs are so quick to blind taste and identify French, Italian, Spanish regions etc but we cannot even identify our own wine regions. That is why we lack an identity in the world market.
The wines will always over-deliver on quality and my aim is to never have a wine selling for more than R80 a bottle. You should feel that you paid more than half price when you taste the wines.

The Label?
It is a play on an old treasure map, but using the Western Cape and showing you where exactly the wine is from marked by an X. Each wine will have its own label and description whilst staying true to the philosophy behind the brand.  

The first wines in the range are: 
Chardonnay 2012 from Robertson from a specific site and 25 year old vineyard
Chenin Blanc 2012 from Rawsonville made from a vineyard more than 40 years old.
Merlot 2012 from Robertson from a site secluded in the Langeberg Mountains.
Shiraz 2011 from Tradouw-Highlands at an altitude higher than 750m above sea-level in the Klein Karoo. 

There are a couple of amazing wines waiting in the wings and I am excited about the wines that I am able to put on your table. Treasure Hunter will hopefully soon become a brand that people are looking forward to discover with me. The anticipation of new wine and new vintages should be something that you cannot wait for. I am extremely excited about this new venture and firstly would like to thank Lourens for being open and accommodating to help me with this. Secondly to all of you who has listened to my rants and opinions about the industry. Personally I have always wanted to make a difference in a positive way and hopefully Treasure Hunter can be a first small step in that direction. 

Join me on my journey to discover the Cape Winelands with my nose on the ground not in the air!!

Colyn Truter
colyn@colyntruter.com
Twitter:  colyntruter






No comments:

Post a Comment